Thursday Pickin’ III, Regular Season Wrap Up

Quote of the Week:

Is it due to your sub par performance that we all must suffer? –Zeek

It’s hard to believe another season of Thursday Pickin’ has come and gone. On second thought, it’s actually not hard to believe. Easy, even. But I couldn’t think of anything better with which start this post. Truth is, I’m distracted with the normal operation of the blog because I’m preoccupied with dreading the fourth of six crummy Christmas parties I have to go to tonight. Well, that’s not really true. It’s just a dinner and I don’t dread it, but I need a topic for my SIXTH rant and I hate Christmas parties and I wanted to drop a preview because I’m more interested in crackin’ myself up right now than I am in showering accolades on all of you championship level Thursday Pickers.

Basically, it’s this. TB won my last couple of POTW’s to finish the season with a bit of salvaged pride. That’s a nice way of sayin’ my picks this year really sucked. I went 6-8 on POTW’s and 27-34-4 on bonus selections. The TBU fared much better, finishing 159-129 for the year.

The final regular season standings:

1. Tiny D  684
  2. BR  655
  3. Flyin’ J  650  (For the record, the Week 14 winner at 4-0 plus tunage points)
  4. BW Buzz  592
  5. Face  577
  6. Pitalo  577
  7. JLou  574
  8. SmilyJ  564
  9. Sweet  548
  10. Larry  519
  11. CTJ  506  (your 3 week run of excellence is noted)
  12. TDW  505
  13. TKH  481
  14. Fig  461
  15. RSR  455
  16. Fish  450
  17. TB  432
  18. MD  431
  19. Mac  397
  20. Zeek  374
  21. Irv  308
  22. Feidt’s Follies  164
  23. Harmony  (Awesome)

Thanks again to everybody for making the season a lot of fun here in the TBU.

PS, I need a good acronym for the champ. Suggestions needed, even from Zeek.

In the meantime, stay tuned for more Christmas ranting.

This entry was posted in Sports and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Thursday Pickin’ III, Regular Season Wrap Up

1. irvineredd says:

If your not first, your last.

2. Tiny D….my apologies! I had a nice, funny to me paragraph congratulating and goofing on you for winning the title. Well, not the overall title, but the regular season title. Trust me, it fit in with the others and together they made more sense than they do now. Pretty much it was the most eloquent, yet side-splittingest funny paragraph ever written. And now I’ve forgotten it. Freakin’ internet troubles on the road today.

Anyway, you are deserving of praise. Faint praise, true, but praise nonetheless.

And you will start of the playoff period set to begin after Christmas and going through the championship game. Haven’t worked out all the details yet, but at Sweet’s suggestion, the top eight finishers are in the running for the Grand Exultant TBU Championship (this is where the need for a better acronym comes in).

Irv….well put. Sit and spin! (fist bump)

3. TDW says:

Top 8? What happened to Top 12? (storms off, voice trailing) Man, this is a bunch of…be damned if I……fu…………

• ZEEK says:

Get him TDW, get him!!!!! I wouldn’t put up with that BS if I was you, man I’d kick his…………sorry moth…………just jealous cuz he can’t……….bet if he was in 12th………pus……..thinks he’s so…….!!!!!!

4. ZEEK says:

Well TB, since it is the holiday season and you have found it in your benevolent despot’s heart to wise up and use one of my lines for quote of the week, let me just say………Merry Christmas to all, and I don’t care who gets in the playoffs cuz it ain’t gonna be me. I would like to point out that at the time of Sweet’s suggestion, I believe he was in the top 3-5. I’m sure he would rather it be top 10 at this juncture. Now I will take my ball and go home and screw all ya’ll!!!!!!!!

I’m 7! I’m 7! Zeek you are so funny, but I’m 7! I’m doing the I’m 7! Dance. I’m not first and I’m not last, I’m 7! Congrats to Tiny D!

6. sweet says:

Actually Zeek, I was around 12th. So go munch a sack

7. larry says:

Hold it! Hold it! (in the voice of Sheriff Buford T. Justice)
    Top 8? And since when does Sweet make the decisions around here? This must be how Boise State feels.

I think that having an 8 team playoff is too many (what is this, the NBA?) and does not sufficiently honor Tiny D for winning it all. Tiny D should get a bye after coming in first out of 22 people.

This would be more just:
    Tiny D gets a bye
    #2 vs #7
    #3 vs #6
    #5 vs #4

#8 can stick it.

9. Anonymous says:

im sure 8th would love to stick you

I would not care if he cut it down to the top 5 – I’m still happy to be 7th. Competing against myself – that is the best I’ve ever done!

Is anybody here Happy? Tiny D where are you? You are #1!

11. Where were all these suggestions when I asked for them? Sweet was the only one that piped up.

8 it is. Tiny D will have an advantage, and so forth down the line. Not sure how to do it yet, but have some things in mind.

12. sweet says:

Tiny D should have an advantage. Like 63 points
    The same for BR but a little less
    Yall are lucky I am not in it, cause I’m rollin

13. Bobby Pitalo says:

Fun fun year. Stinks i went 0-6 one week. Other than that it was great.

14. ZEEK says:

I love it when a plan comes together.

15. tiny d says:

I’m here, just licking my wounds from TB’s less than stellar announcement of my victory. Words like “not the overall title,” and “faint praise.” Cuts to the quick I tell ya. I’ve had to immerse myself in work to make it through the past couple of days. Oh, screw that! I AM THE CHAMPION!! 🙂 (for now) Thanks for lifting my from my funk JL!!
    Seriously, TB, where’s the tunage this week. Nothing…really? I have NO idea what y’all are talking about with advantages, byes and playoffs. Hopefully, I can semi-successfully work my way through that as well.
    Tunes:
    Gives You Hell – All American Rejects
    Pepper – Butthole Surfers
    So Much to Say – Dave Matthews Band
    Wait Until Tomorrow – John Mayer
    SOTW
    Jenny Says – Cowboy Mouth

P. S. WAR EAGLE!!

• Way to bring it TD….I really did have a nice tribute section for you and I have no idea how it got lost from the post. I was getting kicked off the internet like every five minutes the other day while posting. Must’ve written that part when I was offline.

16. ZEEK says:

I don’t know what the heck just happened, but the song is Head of State by Baraka Flaka Flame and is on youtube. I urge ya’ll to check it out.

17. larry says: