Quote of the Day:
“After this had the king a large meeting, and very deep consultation with his council, about this land; how it was occupied, and by what sort of men.” –Anglo Saxon Chronicle, on the order to create Domesday Book
School’s back in. Football starts next week. It’s time for the TBU to get back in gear.
There are several new features I hope everyone is enjoying. First, the Twitter feed is on your right where I’ve been linking articles, personal photos and a few micro-bloggish thoughts every now and again. Also, below the posts are a bunch of buttons that, if some of you will use them, might bring a few new readers into the fold. There is a new “reply” button in the comments that will allow you to direct a comment to a particular person rather than just add your thoughts to the bottom. And the new theme I was forced to move to in an emergency seems to be working out fine. I still have a few ideas kicking around to enhance the place a bit more, including some drastic changes that will, if consummated, will make all your wildest dreams come true. Assuming those dreams involve a bigger and better TBU.
For now, it’s time to get ready for Thursday Pickin, Season III (The Return of Thursday Pickin). If you are new to the TBU since last football season, it goes like this: I pick 5 regular college football winners and one Pick of the Week, then I give you a themed music playlist to both enlighten you and give you a kick start for the weekend. You pick 0-5 regular games, one Pick of the Week and give us your own playlist or simply a song of the week. Then I assign points in a more or less fair and consistent manner according to the results of your games and the popularity of your tunes. It’s a lot more fun than it sounds and its important to participate from week one so you can maximize your chance of winning fantastic prizes. You don’t have to be a big fan or understand point spreads to have fun with this, and it’s free, so please join in.
I thought I’d take this opportunity to recognize, thank, and goof on all of you who make this fun for me. There have been a lot of commenters since time began here, and I may not catch everybody, but I’ll try. Consider this the “getting your name (virtually) spray painted on a water tower” edition of the TBU.
- Jessie Lou McFaul–a charter TBU citizen and the official “no post should be left uncommented upon savior” of the TBU
- Sweet–the official defending champion of “Thursday Pickin’–Season II, Thursday Pickin’ Strikes Back”
- Zeek–Official naysayer of the TBU
- Quail–Official Captain of the Thursday Pickin’ Peanut Gallery
- Mad Dawg–Official Drudge Correspondent of the TBU
- The Daily Wit–Official Comedic Genius/Supercynic/Bigfoot enthusiast of the TBU
- RockStarRambler–Official Musical Connoisseur of the TBU
- SmilyJ–Official Bald-headed Unit of the TBU
- BR and Luscious Larry–Official Southpaw Contingency
- Hobby–Official Newest Citizen of the TBU
- Mac–Official Free Thinking Conservative of the TBU
- Barista–Official Cupcake Queen of the TBU
- Tiny D–Official Best Thursday Pickin’ Initials of the TBU
- Kathy P–Official Kindest Private Commenter of the TBU
- Randy M–Official Oilman of the TBU
- Harmony–Official Californian of the TBU
- Stink’s Mom–Officially MIA
- TKH–Official Worst Picker of the TBU
- Feidt’s Follies–Official Mayor of Folly Beach of the TBU
- Coach TeaJay–Official Knees of the TBU
- Fig–Official Outlaw Country Aficionado of the TBU
- Flyin’ J–Official Pilot of the TBU
- Fish–Official Shortstop of the TBU
- Irvine Redd–Official Hipster of the TBU
- Face–Official Fan of a Worse Football Team than TB of the TBU
- Alexis de Toadville–Official Best Nom de Guerre of the TBU
- Little Boy–Invisible Man
- MDM–Official Baseball Guru and All Time Home Run King of the TBU
- BW Buzz–Official DickyV Impersonater of the TBU
- Doc Scoop–Special Guest Star
- Rosie–Official Most Sporadic Regular Reader of the TBU
Ok, if I missed anybody and you want an official title here, let me know. Look forward to seeing everybody around the place together again!