The New Year’s Eve Girl

And I shall find some girl perhaps,
And a better one than you,
With eyes as wise, but kindlier,
With lips as soft, but true.
And I daresay she will do.

“The Chilterns”–Rupert Brooke

They’d been together four months and he really liked her. But he didn’t LIKE her-like her and he knew better than to approach six months with a girl like that. So he put it out of his mind until Christmas was over. Then it was over and it was time to make plans for New Year’s Eve. He decided an early January break was still well within the six month hard deadline so he could put it out of his mind for just one more night and they could go out and have a great time and have a great memory for when the hard feelings wore off.

With a firm decision in hand he was able to enjoy the evening more than any in the past few weeks. Dinner was nice. They hit triple flaming sevens on a quarter machine and won 250 bucks, and with a flourish of grandiosity he insisted she keep it all. Midnight approached and they stayed about even at the Poker bar, bonding one last time laughing at the drunken cougars across the way. A girl came around handing out complimentary champagne and a funny hat with a noisemaker attached. Midnight arrived and they sang and danced, then it passed and they decided to go to the diner for a late snack before calling it a night.

It had all gone perfectly and he hadn’t thought once about the invevitable hardship to come.  Cheese sticks for her and a patty melt for him and they shared a few more laughs as his eyes began to tire and out of nowhere, as if she realized they were together at a pivot point but misjudged the direction altogether she looked up at him and smiled and said “I love you.” He faltered. She waited. He stared blankly, caught completely off guard and then she ran. He hesitated a second or two and then went after her. She had no other way home after all.

Unable to catch her before she descended the stairs, missing her as they weaved among the reveling throng, he finally caught her just outside the parking garage. They didn’t speak. She cried and he guided her to the car and they drove back to her place in silence. They went inside and she started the conversation he’d hoped to have the next week and, all things considered it went well to his mind. He was still a kid, you see, an idiot for the most part. He’d told her how much fun he’d had, how much he liked her, that she was beautiful. She seemed to understand, she even smiled. Then, two hours after they’d started, he gave her a friendly pat on the shoulder and said he was glad they could end it this way and as he got up to leave she said “End it? I thought you were making up?!” And so two more hours in which he said damned little–an idiot he may have been but one capable of learning from his mistakes. Before the sun came up they were both poised at last to start the year on fresh and different paths.

Six months later the girl called and said “Can you come over today?” He smiled to himself. “They always come around,” he thought. As he drove over he resolved to lay down strict guidelines from the start. After all, he liked this girl and he would never mislead her.  She greeted him and smiled without a trace of discomfort or lingering rancor. “Come in the house,” she said, leading him by the hand. He felt good. As they crossed the threshold she implored him that he must “help my fiancé with some legal problems he has with his ex.” For an almost imperceptible moment he was once again caught off-guard. Then he rallied, smiling at her, seeing the knowing twinkle in her eye and yet at the same time the genuine friendship and happy recollection of good times he’d once hoped she’d take from the four months last year. He gave good advice and shook the strange man’s hand, hugged the girl from the side on his way out and drove away without looking back, but chalking one up for the New Year’s Eve girl. He smiled once more and silently wished her well as he disappeared around the bend.

This entry was posted in Blank Stares, Life, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The New Year’s Eve Girl

1. Samsmama says:

Oh my gosh, this is incredible!!! I had absolutely no clue where it was headed. I knew there would be a twist but, honestly, that she was engaged never entered my mind. Excellent.

Happy New Year, TB!!

2. calicobebeop says:

Hmmm, just change the holiday to Valentine’s and you could be taking a page out of my book. Oh well, life goes on. What a good sport – Happy New Year!

3. Barista says:

Wow! Great writing. Glad I stumbled here today.

4. tinyd says:

Maybe the combination of grandiose gestures, champagne, etc. steered her toward the 3 word malfunction…but score one for the gentleman also for handling the final confrontation with such grace. Great story – Happy New Year!

Looks like she had the guidelines all worked out…great story TB. Happy New Year!!

6. Thanks girls and welcome Barista. Please visit again. I invited myself over to your place and will go back again if its alright.

Harmo….well put as always. Tiny D, “grandiose” was the perfect word so I used it even though I don’t have that sentence exactly right. I’ll probably be revising it if I can figure out a better way.

SM what I’d really like to do is give it a Roald Dahl style twist, a little more edge for the novel perhaps. Ever read “Switch Bitch”? I highly, highly recommend it.

Calico…we’ve all been there! At least that’s the feeling I try to convey in these personal stories. As demigod of the TBU its nice a nice perk to be able to pick and choose which ones to publish. TB definitely has a few that I’ll keep under his hat.

Very good story! It could have become a Chapter 2 – not knowing where they were before New Year’s Eve. Kind of calls to mind that Dan Fogelberg song. Bittersweet as many of the wars on love’s battlefield are.

Happy New Year to all! For many on this blog it will be a “Welcome to the 40’s” year in 2010. Enjoy it – the 40’s have been good to me.

8. Smilyj says:

I’m at work tonight so I wont be staying up for New Year’s celebration so I thought I’d do mine now.

WOO HOOOO! HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2010 Baby! THE YEAR OF THE BULLDAWG! WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF! GRRRRRRRR!

9. Good story. Did we ever talk to each other during law school? I’ve not heard any story on this blog before. For the love of Pete, we were roommates for a while. I feel cheated.

• HyungJin says:

I read your article Killer Kita and it gives me hope, thank you.Now you never meonitn though if Kita was eating her kill?My case is a little different that your Kita. Chico was and perfect (almost) dog till those babies chicks were born. He knows he does not suppose to do it he never does it when we are around. The chickens walk all over him and he ignores them but later in the day when we are not looking he will get just one and eat the skin from the neck. He could kill all of them at one time but won\’t do it. When I go to do my chores in the afternoon heinmidiately takes off away from me and then I know that he has killed and sure enough I look around and find the the remains.I\’m willing to try the shock collar but I would have to be hiding somewhere and use it if he goes for one. The ideal would be to place something on the chickens to activate his collar, have you hear of anything like that?

• Now we know who the sensible one is here. Great post!

• Rafhaela says:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. She had icfrrteeenne from me and the other dogs who were correcting her. The lead dogs didn’t like what she was doing and after she had killed several times they wouldn’t let her near the livestock if at all possible. This helped me with retraining her. After she was fully retrained she would bring me dead piglets she found out in the field to ask if she could eat them (the difference between found dead and kill is obvious if you’re there). Then I would allow her to eat them or divvy them up.With your dog Chico you need to start at square one and re-establish training, working him back up to the trusted level. This is what worked with Kita and with other dogs that I trained who came to us as adults and untrained. It is a slow process that takes a lot of patience but it is well worth the effort.

10. Marta says:

Hi Walter, you posted a prtiuce of one of your dogs protecting one of your sick piglet from your other dog. And then you mentioned that when a piglet dies you feed it to the dogs and then I understood why the dog was so protected of the piglet, because it was potential food!I always thought that guardian dogs work so well because they were so territorial and they did not want any other animals in their territory.I had a great Pyrenees for 11 years protecting sheep and chickens in the fence area. He was a wonderful dog. Sure when he was a puppy I lost a few chickens on account of he being playful but he never eat them. Unfortunately dogs don’t live for ever so after he left us we thought that things were going to work out the same as it did with him, loose a few chicken in the puppy stage and so on. Well for the past two years we have been struggling and having so much heart ache. First we got a Anatolian she was beautiful but she killed and ate my chicken, we had her for about a year thinking we could break her from that, it did not happen. She lives in a goat farm now. Then we got a maremma, we had him for over 6 month and discover he could not hear, we returned him to the breeder. Then we got another great Pyrenees .. ( I had to stop to wipe my tears) he’s a little over a year old now and he was doing so well yes, he killed a few (just playing) but he did not eat them until this hen had babies and he got hold of one and I guess he eat them and when they were all gone he started with older ones and had kill one a day and partially eating them. We did not know how good of a balance we had till it was gone. Now I’m face with another dog that I can’t keep and it’s taring me apart. I love all my dog very much and I absolutely hated when I have to part with them.He is an excellent dog and beautiful and has bonded with the sheep so well but my chicken are free range and we love the eggs they produce and won’t give it up.We have tried going with out a dog but a course of two weeks all my chickens were killed by predators from the ground and the air.My question to you is how do you get your dogs to not kill what they obviously want to eat and even fight over it among them.

11. Katty says:

Three groups are covered under the uninsured motorist provision. The insured, members of his or her household, and any other QuotesChimp legally entitled to recover damages are protected under the un�insured motorist provision of an auto policy. The coverage also applies to injuries sustained by the insured or householders who are injured as pedestrians by an uninsured motorist.