Thursday Pickin Season II, Week 7

Some people just don’t understand the art of being a “Gentleman of Leisure”, do they?” –Feidt’s Follies

There were 9 POTW winners last week, the top 9 in the list below, led by TKH’s stunning performance on bonus picks at 4-0. TB’s record on the year fell to 2-3-1 on POTW’s and 15-15 on bonus picks. A big Bama spellout to BR for winning his first game of the season in the big showdown up in Oxford. Mac took over the season lead with a well timed and chosen “all-in” on the Tide. Last week’s results:

1. TKH (4-0) 74

Some tunes while Saturday Football Bloggin by myself

• Oh, Lonesome Me–Kentucky Headhunters
  • Lonesome, Ornery and Mean–Waylon
  • London Homesick Blues–Jerry Jeff Walker
  • Poor Poor Pitiful Me–Warren Zevon

SOTW–Desperados Waiting for A Train–Guy Clark

This entry was posted in Music, Sports and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Thursday Pickin Season II, Week 7

1. Mac says:

TB, can you look at it again? It was a small post but its there. Another winner, winner chicken dinner.

2. Mac says:

I posted it Oct 9th at 5:49 pm

3. Greeg says:

POTW
    Louisville +13

Mid Tenn St +4′
    Oklahoma +3′
    Vandy +8

Good Time Charlie’s Got the Blues – Danny O’Keefe

4. Found it Mac, a staple was covering it up on my printout. I’ll make the adjustments.

….knew it was inexplicable

5. Mac says:

Thx TB for getting your thumb off me. I am proud to be momentarily standing atop the TB universe but as with most of my accomplishments, I’m sure it only matters to a staggeringly low percentage of the population. Anywho…on with the losers.
    POTW-Virg Tech -3
    Others
    Wake Forest +7
    Alabama -17
    Notre Dame +10
    Florida -24 1/2
    SOTW celebrating my temporary domination and the fact that it seems like everything in my life revolves around cartoons is…

6. smilyj says:

All in This week.
    State baby -4

SOTW
    Keepin with Mac’s theme
    “Cum On Baby Wight My Fiwa” Elmer Fudd

7. sweet says:

POW
    Houston -17

Adds
    Miss St -4′
    USM -14

SOTW
    Up, Up, and Away (In My Beautiful Balloon) -The 5th Dimension
    For that non-existent 6 yr old passenger in the runaway prototype helium balloon that Shep and I were following today

8. tkh says:

POTW
    South Carolina +17

Navy -7.5
    Miss St -4.5
    OSU -13.5
    Air Force -10.5

9. quail09 says:

opposite of samsmama….where am i on the list of pick results from last week?……i’m shocked

10. Forgot Q, I’ll get you up there.

11. Face says:

Potw- Houston-17

sotw- in honor of the greenies-
    same old song and dance- aerosmith

12. sweet says:

Doc Scoop says……Golden Buzzards -14

13. bwbuzz says:

POW GEORGIA -8

AUBURN -13 1/2
    ALABAMA -17
    FLORIDA + 24
    MISS ST -4 1/2

Thanks to Sweet, for finally explaining the betting lines, me for feeling stupid for not understanding till now , and somehow still in the top 10?

14. Zeek says:

POTW– UGA-8

PITT-3

ARK- +24′

AUB-13′

IOWA- +2′

TEX-3′

Talked to one of my mom and dad’s old students from mid to late 70’s for first time in 25 yrs. Here is a sample of what Mary B. (my mom) was blastin in the 8 track of the caprice classic.

SOTW- One Step From the Jungle to the Zoo- Dr. Hook

Get Down Tonite- K.C. and the Sunshine Band

Peaches and Diesel- Clapton

Operator (would you help me place this call?)- Jim Croce

Why Me Lord- Kris Kristofferson

15. Zeek says:

Hey Quail, where ya at? I have to say I’m mildly disappointed with your participation, or lack thereof, so far this season. We were the ones beggin’ for the season to start, remember? I was looking forward to seeing what tunes you would add to the mix. Let’s go lineman!!! Get your butt in gear!!!!!!

16. quail09 says:

Zeek….thanks for the motivation

Why can’t we be friends….War

Too hot to fish, too hot for golf, too cold at home…..Mark Chestnutt

Take your tongue out of my mouth, i’m kissin you goodbye…..John Denver

The SOTW potion of this blog has quickly devolved into some goofy a$&s sh*%t.

POTW: TX -3′

Others:
    SMU +7′
    Tulane +17 (I am disappointed in you Face and Sweet for going against the Greenies)
    The Irish +10 (lose a close one)

SOTW: KISS will be in concert in Pensacola this coming Monday night. I am not going, but let the record in the upcoming divorce proceeding reflect that Fig E Fresh is taking his young impressionable son to this show—-on a school night!!

19. face says:

MD, I’ve seen the Wave in person three times this year. They’ve been outscored 122-26 in those three games. So, I’m back to getting my enjoyment out of pulling against everyone else’s teams.

20. Fig E says:

MD, let me set the record straight: Missy put her foot down, and will not let me take Michael to see Kiss Monday night. Taking him 2 weeks ago to see 3 Doors Down at Bayfest, and his comments on what he saw in the crowd, ended it. There actually were some 15.00 tickets for Kiss, on the side of the stage. Damn shame.

Quote of the week: “Hotty Toddy is actually a Greek word that means choke.” – Paul Finebaum, Oct 13th column re review of the SEC year to date

POTW: Georgia -8 @ VANDY

Picks:
    OLE MISS -22 v. Uab
    AUBURN – 13′ v. Kentucky
    South Carolina +17′ @ ALABAMA
    USM -15′ v. Memphis State
    FLORIDA -24′ v. Arkansas
    MTSU +4′ v. Miss. State

21. Greeg says:

Additional POW
    Kansas -10

22. sweet says:

Come on man, you cant have two POWs

23. yeah, two POTW’s throws the scoring column off. I let somebody get away with it a couple weeks ago, but startinggggggggggggg NOW, only one gets counted. Make one of them a bonus pick.

Fig, that boy needs to learn not to eat the cheese.

24. Greeg says:

Just tryin’ to get ahead.
    And using a little Mojo.

25. Greeg says:

Make Kansas a can’t miss bonus pick.

26. calicobebeop says:

State -4′
    Memphis +15′

SOTW – Listen to the Darkside – Charlie Mars

Damn shame indeed Fig E. Since Fig failed me (yet again), my new SOTW:

30. RockStarRambler says:

POTW: Ole Miss – 22

I lost the top spot in the standings this week…

When You’re Falling – Afro Celt Sound System
    Trip Through Your Wires – U2
    Fall on Me – REM
    Falling – Staind

SOTW: (Can’t You) Trip Like I Do – Filter and The Crystal Method

31. Samsmama says:

Let’s just leave Kansas alone, shall we? *cough cough* +7 this week.

32. Samsmama says:

And my SOTW is Carry On My Wayward Son.

And the “balloon boy” needs his ass whooped, but not as badly as his dad does.

33. coachteajay says:

35. OSU -13′
    Georgia -8
    So. Cal -10
    Tx Tech +11
    Houston -17

POTW: MSU -4′

Given that Ole Miss and State are playing non-conference foes that they should both beat like drums and just plain bully for 60 minutes, my SOTW is Bob Dylan’s Neighborhood Bully.

This is my best effort at participating in the SOTW component, which I normally eschew.

Virginia Tech -3
    Houston -17
    South Carolina +17
    UGA-8
    Tx Tech +11

POTW – FLORIDA -24′

Songs from the Hollis Skating Rink and all those skating parties in 6th grade:

Smoking in the Boy’s Room – Brownsville Station
    The Joker – Steve Miller Band
    Philadelphia Freedom – Elton John
    Rockin Robin – Michael Jackson

SOTW = Shout It Out Loud – Kiss

And SM – you are absolutely correct – I would love to get a slap in on that kid. I haven’t gotten to spank anyone in a long time – now would be good!

38. Samsmama says:

I’m gunning for the dad, as now reports are making it sound like it was his idea for publicity.

39. Feidt's Follies says:

OK this is more like it. Haggered, tired and a bit confused. Should crush it. Just want to point out that my POTW record is still unblemished, much like most of the young coeds asses in Oxford. Was scared I was going to leave sounding like an old guy talking about how much better it was in my day and where is an empty bar. Got shuned by a few people in the suite, Craig talked to me a bit when people weren’t watching. The high light of the game was when Millimeter some how got into the suite and almost rallied the team to victory with his dancing Homer impression. Front row, only one standing, piss drunk, starts dancing. Almost put the crowd and his team on his shoulders, then Snead threw another pick. Any truth to the his head is in Texas where his old lady is banging a guy rumor?

Nothwestern +14
    Clemson -7′
    Vandy +8
    Texas Tech +10′
    Louisville +13

POTW Mississippi St -4′

few sleepers to watch (trying to work on my record so they didn’t make the cut) Memphis, South Carolina, Ga Tech, Notre Dame.

Notre Dame wins today you gotta go with Clausen as your Heisman front runner.

SOTW – ZZ TOP – Nationwide > My heads in Mississippi

40. tkh says:

Snead is an over rated quitter (maybe harsh). He decommitted to UF after Tebow committed, left UT after McCoy named starter, disappeared against USC and UAT. Seems to back away from challenges.

41. dirty larry says:

Feidto,

I was try not to watch you hook up with the ugly Bama chick in Larry’s.

42. Feidt's Follies says:

That might have been the ugliest girl in the city. Oh wait that was the blonde from Tupelo. She was really ugly. Bougth me a beer though. I thought about it for a sec then luckily a friend from tupelo said He had been there, so I really ran away. But the ugly Bama chick i think you are talking about was one of my good friends from college. We made up this great game called have you met my friend Jon. Then gave them one of my cards.

JL,
    sweet saw your post about spanking and told me that he had been a bad boy. I’m just saying……

44. Samsmama says:

Kansas…screwed me. So much for a can’t miss pick.

And BTW, “I haven’t gotten to spank anyone in a long time” was the most fabulous thing I’d read in quite some time.

SM – I think we could be best of friends!

MD – I was thinking of you last night – Steve Spurrier always reminds me of you for some reason. BTW – I do not think Sweet is that desperate. Has he done something to you now? Or does that conversation come under attorney-client privilege?

46. Mac says:

If I’ve learned anything at all from betting on football all these years, its this. A stellar run is always followed by an odds crushing losing streak. Oh well, I enjoyed my week in the limelight. I am voting for Sweet’s sotw as it was the first balloon song I saw.

47. Feidt's Follies says:

Just want to point out my 10-1 day yesterday against the Book

don’t forget about 99 Luft Balloons.

JL,
    although its nice to know that you think about me at night, my “representation” of sweet consisted solely of the formation of worldwide corporate conglomerate Flagship Maritime Services, LLC. TB inexplicably hates all business entities, so he will probably delete this reference to this one from his blog. (disclaimer—this last semi-political comment most properly belongs on the MD/RY strain of this site).

I love a good disclaimer statement but was hoping for an even better story. Can’t have it all as I already know.

I am sure the blogeditor will realize your statement is weak on the political front and let it pass. It certainly does not measure up to the fortitude of your comments on the MDRY.

I must cast my vote for Mr. Feidt’s song – it seems to sum him up as he is always somewhere Nationwide and always has a story to tell.

50. quail09 says:

MD…..you’re a SOTW snob

51. RockStarRambler says:

My SOTW vote is split between TB and Larry: TB’s Poor Poor Pitiful Me by Warren Zevon and Larry’s Listen to the Darkside by Charlie Mars. Excellent selections.