Thursday Pickin Season II Week 11

The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits, but not when it misses.” –Sir Francis Bacon

Here’s a little Friday the 13th trivia:

• The word for fear of Friday the 13th is paraskevidekatriaphobia. I challenge you all to use this word in conversation tomorrow and report back here on the reaction.
  • The theory for the origin of Friday the 13th as unlucky which is the officially endorsed one by TB is that the Knights Templars were ordered to be destroyed by the Pope for becoming too powerful and wealthy and probably also because they held secrets the church did not want disseminated to the masses. On Friday, October 13, 1307, the Pope’s secret order to King Phillip of France was carried out and mass arrests of the order’s members took place. The church conveniently took possession of the Templars’ vast treasure and executed the membership as heretics. TB believes the University of Alabama has become too powerful and wealthy over the years and has brought this to the Vatican’s attention through numerous, as yet unacknowledged emails.
  • The TBU is willing to entertain the notion that Friday the 13th is in fact lucky because this was the pagan belief prior to the Norman Conquest of England. Since the pagans also brought us Christmas, Stonehenge and the point spread, I believe it is important to give full consideration to their lost culture and beliefs.
  • Superstitions are a very important aspect of the gambling/entertainment-only-consideration-of-the-point-spread world. A few examples–I mentioned last week in response to Feidt’s Follies’ braggadocio l’amore that one should never screw with a winning streak, a truism made famous by the great Crash Davis. Other knowledge that may assist you in overcoming your paraskevidekatriaphobia (there, that was easy) as it applies to sports entertainment is to never assume a PAT will be good if you need it, always lie on your belly before the television in crucial situations and never mark up a “W” on your sheet or even in your innermost private thoughts until the last second has ticked off the clock. Please add to this list in your comments.

On to the game. Q was the weekly winner as best I can tell. He picked opposite of SM who picked opposite of Sweet, but added one pick of her own, who picked opposite of Feidt who choked under the pressure of perfection without even giving the C boys a chance to doom him. Check that, Fig was the weekly winner thanks to his LOTW victory, but I’m not retyping the previous sentence because it took me ten minutes to figure all that out. A lot of you tried your hand at the all-in strategy and took your lumps. The song of the week went to Mac with 2 votes and list went to Fig with 1.5. On the year, TB is now 6-3-1 on POTW’s and 26-23-1 on bonus plays. The top ten below won their POTW, everyone else lost, and as always bonus pick results are in parentheses.

1. Fig  (all in, plus bonus points for LOTW, plus makeup points to equal top picker with bonus selections)  67
  2. Q  (4-2)  62
  17. SmilyJ  10
  18. Zeek  10
  19. BR  10
  20. Face  10
  21. Special Guest Picker Doc Scoop  10
  22. S&M  (2-4)  8
  23. TDW  (Fishing in Alaska)

Season Standings

My Tunes

• Elvis is Everywhere–Mojo Nixon
  • Drinkin Song–Jason Boland and the Stragglers
  • Ain’t Superstitious–The Yardbirds
  • Black Cat Moan–Beck, Bogert and Appice

SOTW–Mr. Lucky–John Lee Hooker

This entry was posted in Music, Sports and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Thursday Pickin Season II Week 11

1. larry says:

Kentucky – 3
    Nebraska -3′
    Bama -12
    Fla -15′
    UGA -4′

POTW – The Rebs -4′

SOTW

She Sells Sanctuary – The Cult

Bonus SOTW

Up In Smoke – Blackberry Smoke

2. sweet says:

Dude, your killing me….I was all in with the opposite of Fido and no bonus picks. I finally figured out the scam and I’m still getting screwed. knew you wouldn’t let me win

3. Here we go….. Show me where you specified you were only going opposite of Fido on POTW and I will change the scoring. I’ve been scoring these “opposite” picks the same way all year. You get all the person’s picks (opposite) unless you specify otherwise.

4. sweet says:

I must have missed Paragraph 2 Sec b of the opposite clause.

5. sweet says:

Since RSR is in my way……here’s what she’s got coming….watch your back RockStar

SOW – for Fido this Saturday morning

6. coachteajay says:

Potw
    Arkansas -13′

Bonus picks
    Oregon st -11′
    Nevada -7
    Stanford +10′
    Pitt -6′
    UAB-1

SOTW

7. Smilyj says:

Potw Arkansas -13 1/2
    also, Tenn +4 1/2…too easy.
    FSU +5
    SOTW -“Aint No Rest For The Wicked” Cage The Elephant.
    In honor of yet another brutal matchup for the Bullies on the way to the toughest schedule any sport has ever seen.

TOTW-all songs by that chick from Sugarland. She turns Smilyj’s crank.

8. I took several weeks off to help with the Palin In 2012 movement. Can I pick 20 games this week to get back in the hunt?

I’ll grade my performance — honestly of course — to not burden you.

9. bwbuzz says:

POTW ARKANSAS – 13 1/2

AUBURN +4
    MISS.ST + 12
    FLORIDA -15
    TENNESSE + 4 1/2

10. ZEEK says:

Friday the 13th came about 3 hours early for the Zeekster, as I wrecked my car on my last delivery tonight. Sufice it to say that this was the last thing I needed to happen in my life at this juncture. Really mad that I was not killed instantly in wreck. Tunes will reflect moo0d.

POTW- Razorbacks-13′

SOTW- I Hate Everything-Brad Paisley

Another one Bites the Dust-Queen

My Head Hurts,My Feet Stink, and I Don’t Love Jesus-Jimmy Buffet

Why Me Lord?-Kris Kristofferson

Break Another Little Piece of My Heart- Janis Joplin

Dazed and Confused-Led Zeppelin

BONUS SOTW: (In Honor of Veterans) – Proud To Be An American –Lee Greenwood

• Muhammad says:

Ah, memory lane I lauehgd when I saw the reference to Jerome = turtle. Wow, I didn’t know that about Willis Chin.. awesome piece of trivia there. Was he just a good friend?One of my favorite videos is still You Already Take Me There. Classic Switchfoot- I love it when they fall on their faces and then jump up and keep playing. Reminds me why I like this band so much. Oh, I just realized that I missed the Monday Comes Around discussion. Sad!

11. Feidts Follies says:

POTW – Iowa +17

Ole Miss -4′ (about to cut all ties with this school)
    USC -10′
    Okie St -4
    South Carolina +15′
    Memphis +1

double all in POTW Arkansas -13′

Well i am off in the morning to Bear Creek Music fest. About 60 bands and about 20 of them are the funkest bands in the country. All day and night Friday Sat and Sunday. I got 2 cases and a 30 pack plus a gallon of vodka and a bottle of Jagar. Probably pick up another case on the way just in case.
    Saw it coming last week a mile away. I new navy was the bet and got scared and took fricken a big tem team. Can’t win them all and the universe has to balance out somehow when i am making sweet love so much.

Song o the week: Galatic (2 late night shows) Funky bird

Probably will be more sore after this weekend then I was after this last weekend. A lot of unused muscles got used.

12. Fish says:

POTW
    BYU

Bonus
    Texas -23′
    Oregon -18
    Kansas State, E
    Stanford +10′
    Ohio State -17

13. Fish says:

POTW BYU -26′ (forgot to add the number)

14. Fish says:

I am more of a talk radio guy but recently I listened to this band and they are pretty good.

check’em out

Monsters of Folk

15. Fig E says:

POTW: Alabama -12 @ MISS ST

SOTW: For Greeg and Zeek (sorry MD)
    Lying Here With Linda On My Mind – Conway Twitty

Bonus Song:
    Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts – Hot Nuts I

16. irvineredd says:

Where’d FF Ole Miss -4 come from?

Odds link says Ole Miss +6

On another note, FF enjoy the Galactic, I want to get that new album, not sure it’s out yet though.

17. Greeg says:

POW
    Vandy +3

S. Carolina +15′
    Ohio St -16′
    Central FL +4′

I Touch Myself – Divinyls

sweet, why do you bother whining? You know that you won’t win—it’s in your genes, and in TB’s secret subset of rules.

POTW: Utah+20

One Other:
    W VA +9′

SOTW: Red McWilliams, who will be playing at the Scottish Highland Games and Irish Music Festival this weekend which I will attend

19. I’m gonna change the meaning of ARB’s from asshole runnin buddies to asshole runnin babies. This game is easy as hell to win. Make one pick per week and get it right. Face, a little help?

20. irvineredd says:

Miss St. +12.5
    Arkansas -13.5
    LSU -22.5
    Georgia Tech -12.5

POTW
    Va Tech -18.5

In honor of the harmonica

And in SOTW in honor of the rain and the harp

21. irvineredd says:

This is a documentary featuring a guy who would most likely been my grad school advisor had I gone. It’s a pretty cool documentary about two guys who formed a very interesting partnership.

Fig – isn’t Linda MD’s mom? Just thinking back to Greeg’s comment last week.

23. tkh says:

Since 13 is my favorite number …

POTW – MSU +12.5 (basically13)

Oregon St -13
    San Jose St +13
    Arkansas – 13.5
    MTSU -13.5

Extra Bonus
    Ole Miss BB -13
    Iowa St BB -13

And for the perhaps the greatest 13 of them all

24. Fig E says:

JL: Linda is MD’s mom

Greeg: I clicked on the link to Satan and Adam, thinking it was a documentary about you. That Satan is cool, but so are you. Free the Hops!

25. Mac says:

TB, I can vouch for sweets opposite of Fidos pick. Matter of fact, it prompted my little soliloquy on the alternate universe of odds when betting on football.

26. bwbuzz says:

A lot of Arkansas pick of the weeks, hope we are correct.

27. face says:

You are right TB. It’s a very simple concept. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to pick a winner very often.

POTW- Tulane +2′ (being a dog to a winless team has to fire them up)

SOTW- dedicated to Zeek. Touch of Grey- Grateful Dead.

28. Samsmama says:

Opposite of Sweet, POTW is Nebraska +7, and SOTW if Suicide Blonde by INXS.

Zeek, sorry to hear about your car. Bonus song, “Hope I Die Tonight”, by Paw. But I mean that in the nicest possible way.

29. BR says:

alabama -12.5

30. sweet says:

POW
    Temple -4

31. I almost put them on my list but after last week’s debacle regarding never taking the cuse I could not stomach taking Temple as a fave.

POTW – Alabama -12

I hope I am wrong but we shall see…..

Songs from JJ’s Castaway’s Lounge jukebox from Circa 1981-1982 (or close to that):

Rush – Tom Sawyer
    Pat Benatar – Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    Jimmy Buffett – Why Don’t We Get Drunk (and screw)
    Hall & Oates – Private Eyes

SOTW – Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap – AC/DC

A toast to Castaways and 80 Cent Budweiser! I had a Touche’s Castaways T-Shirt in 6th Grade – I was just to young to enjoy the original and infamous Jimmy Touche. I think he would have liked me.

33. sweet says:

TB – that doesn’t exactly instill me with confidence

PJ Harvey ~ Down by the water
    Concrete Blondes ~ The beast
    Joan Jett & The Blackhearts ~ Victim of circumstance

SOTW: Janis Joplin ~ Cry Baby

JL, gotta love Dirty Deeds. They played that very early in the show two weeks ago.

Bonus SOTW from 1994

36. Mac says:

As much as it pains me to say this POTW Alabama -12 1/2
    SOTW for no reason really. Just think its funny as hell.

37. RockStarRambler says:

POTW: Ole Miss -6 (or -4, whatever the line is)

Playlist inspired by TB’s excellent Mardi Gras 1995 (Anatomy of a Hangover) post:

Back to New Orleans – Old Crow Medicine Show
    New Orleans is Sinking (and I don’t want to swim) – The Tragically Hip
    At the Foot of Canal Street – Cowboy Mouth
    Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth – Primitive Radio Gods (dig this song mainly because of the BB King sample)

SOTW: King of New Orleans – Better Than Ezra

38. sweet says:

TB – nevermind….the Temple Owl train continues to roll. Down 17-7, then scores 49 unanswered points (8-1 SU and 7-2 ATS)….Give a Hoot!

39. RockStarRambler says:

ps Sweet – bring it.

40. larry says:

I will go with sweet for sotw

41. Mac says:

Tough vote for me this week as anyone who posts John Lee Hooker (TB) would normally get an autovote from me. But I have to give my official vote to Sweet for the message contained within. Hell, there aren’t any punishments here. Vote for TB as well. And a bonus JLH video.

42. ZEEK says:

My music votes go to Mac for that funny sh!t and to BR for a greatr song.

43. sweet says: