Quote of the Day:
“You know, as a writer, I’m more of a listener than a writer, because if I hear something I will write it down.” –Jimmy Buffett
TB had an hour to burn this morning between meetings so I found myself wandering aimlessly through a bookstore. I love bookstores and could spend a fortune in them if I only had the time to read everything I’d like to buy. Instead of buying I self consciously steal peaks into books and magazines and let my mind subconsciously travel wherever it likes. In bookstores I find deep truths, develop infallible business ideas and compose meaningful, complex novels–well blog posts anyway–in my head. Unfortunately the outside air and the corresponding return to full awareness transforms all these brilliant bookstore walking thoughts to rapidly dissipating wisps of smoke, like a dream at 3 am that’s existence can be recalled at dawn, but its details elude. C’est la vie. What remains from today’s visit is the Q&A with Jimmy Buffett I read on the back page of this month’s Men’s Journal. The result, an ordinary blog post, worth a read I hope, and worth forgetting by the time you click over to Drudge or Raising Stink or wherever else your travels may lead. But know that you were THIS CLOSE to something truly enlightening. Dang.
When I posted the PhilosoJimmy title, I didn’t intend to go off on the above tangent, but I find I’m glad I did. At any rate, here’s where I was heading before we took that left turn in Albuquerque: lines from Buffett tunes to live by and deep truths to ponder. Maybe one of these days I’ll wax poetic on where these lines send TB off to, but neither you nor I have time for that right now.
- “There’s a fine line between Saturday night and Sunday mornin” Fruitcakes
- “Throw all my cares away; its a ragtop day” Ragtop Day
- “I’m God’s own drunk and a fearless man” God’s Own Drunk
- “Twenty-four hours, maybe sixty good years; Its still not that long a stay” —Cowboy in the Jungle
- “Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum and we wound up drinkin all night” —Changes in Latitudes
- “I’m just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shovin” —The Wino and I Know
- “Don’t try to describe the ocean if you’ve never seen it. Don’t ever forget that you just may end up being wrong.” “Manana”
- “And I know, it’s my own damn fault.” —Margaritaville