Open Secrets Lawyers Keep

NOTE–the link is outdated, but the whole article is posted previous to this one.

Quote of the Day:     “Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.”    — Edmund Burke

Every voter in Mississippi should read this article.  Then each can decide on their on if they give a damn or not.

MS Supreme Court Bias

What the author has described is the number one open secret in legal circles in Mississippi.  I’ve yet to meet a lawyer representing a plaintiff who has not heard this in settlement negotiations:  “Go ahead and get your verdict.  You know we’ll get it reversed on appeal.”  And we do know that.

But on a somewhat lighter note, there are other secrets that lawyers know but juries and the general populace don’t.  Like the magician that revealed his profession’s tricks, I may be reviled and rejected by my peers for exposing these, but I figure I can sex it up a bit and sell it to FOX if they disbar me.  Ok, sex it up a lot.  A whole lot.

Do you want to be on a jury?  Here’s how to do it.  Sit down and shut up.  If you speak during voir dire, when the lawyers ask the jury panel questions, you have a good chance to be knocked off.  One side won’t like you.  If you are silent, they don’t know and you will be overlooked when the lawyers go about the process of selecting jurors.  Actually, what they do is reject jurors.  Whoever the first 12 leftovers are after everyone possible is knocked off gets on a jury.  So if you want off jury duty instead of on, simply say something like, I would award this person one billion dollars no matter what.  Or, I think all Plaintiff lawyers are agents of sin.  Or, I have an uncontrollable flatulence problem.

Here’s another secret about a large majority of lawsuits.  As a juror or a newspaper reader, you will hear that Road Runner got a huge verdict against Acme Corp and their product tester W. E. Coyote.  In reality, Acme and W.E. were only involved in a fraction of the case.  The case is really against Acme’s insurance company who’s raison d’etre is to collect Acme’s premiums and keep them forever.  They are as likely to reject a claim from Acme in the event of a factory explosion as they are to pay Road Runner’s medical bills if W.E. takes him out falling off a cliff with a defective rocket pack.  The insurance company hires the lawyer, dictates the settlement posture and oversees the whole process.

But lest I give the impression the insurance man only tortures his insured and the injured bird, I must reveal that he also torments the very lawyer he chooses.  Yes the defense lawyer is handsomely compensated, but often must wait 6 months to a year–I’m aware of some firms who have been 18 months behind being paid on occasion.  And when they are paid, they find hours and hours of time simply red-lined from the bill and ignored.  Here comes another secret–no defense firm is giving up a nickel of its work.  They simply change the wording in their bills and pile on additional, often unnecessary work to the file, thus extending the misery for Judge, opposing lawyer, all parties and the courthouse staff.

Everyone in Mississippi knows that juries in certain counties have a reputation as plaintiff friendly venues. I’d say there are about 10 to 12 counties that rightly have that reputation.  But the big secret is, of Mississippi’s 70-72 other counties, extremely defense friendly juries exist in probably 60.  We have maybe, maybe 10 counties in the state without a strong bias one way or the other.

And possibly the biggest secret of all–fangs–I meant to say, the vast majority of lawyers are really decent, often interesting and caring folks.  They want nothing more than a fair judge, jury and appellate court to be in place so they can practice the way they thought they would be able to back in law school.  And sadly, for lawyers of my generation (15 years or less experience), we’ve never known such a system.

This entry was posted in Law, Mississippi and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Open Secrets Lawyers Keep

1. Publius says:

You are so out of the club. Kidding. I sometimes wonder if there’s still a place for Atticus Finch in today’s legal profession.

2. I should never have been a member of any club that would have me in the first place.

3. jessieloumcfaul says:

Proving once again it is the quiet ones that must be watched.

4. Josue says:

I’d need to take a look at with you right here. That’s not something I typcially do! I consider enjoyment in studying a article that will make individuals assume. Moreover, many thanks for permitting me to comment!

5. Why does this have to be the ONLY reliable source? Oh well, gj!

6. Marichka says:

This is getting a bit more sujbicteve, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of neighbors will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune Social is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

7. If time is money you’ve made me a wealthier woman.

• Juan says:

hey there and thanks for your infotmarion – I’ve definitely picked up something new from proper here. I did then again experience a few technical issues using this website, since I skilled to reload the website many occasions prior to I may get it to load correctly. I have been considering in case your hosting is OK? Now not that I’m complaining, but slow loading circumstances times will often have an effect on your placement in google and could damage your quality rating if advertising and ***********|advertising|advertising|advertising and *********** with Adwords. Anyway I’m including this RSS to my email and could look out for much more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this once more soon..

8. Servena says:

Do you have more great areilcts like this one?

9. More posts of this quality. Not the usual c***, please

10. Which came first, the problem or the solution? Luckily it doesn’t matter.

11. Good post. I learn something more challenging on totally different blogs everyday.
    It will all the time be stimulating to read content from different writers
    and apply a little one thing from their store.
    I’d prefer to make use of some with the content on my blog whether or
    not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a link on your web blog.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I found your blog web site on google and examine a number of of your early posts.

Continue to keep up the excellent operate. I simply extra up your
    RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Looking for forward to studying extra from you in a while!…