Quote of the Day: “Be not disturbed at trifles, or accidents common or unavoidable.” — Benjamin Franklin
It’s Friday afternoon, and I feel great. But this was a week in which I found myself disproportionately angry about several things. In the spirit of fellowship, to cleanse my own spirit prior to the weekend, and because I’ll not be on the spirits to expound on these things tonight, I share these gripes with the world.
- 9/10’s of a penny tacked on to every freakin gallon of gas. Is this really necessary? How much of Exxon’s profit is the result of that fraction, hidden right there in plain sight, and subconsciously accepted by humankind as normal.
- Dollar coins. I think they are kind of cool. I’ve never seen one in circulation. Is the idea to really use them or is it a cheap government trick trotted out every few years to ensnare me the random idiot collector. If we are going to have a dollar coin, let’s at least curtail the production of paper bills, enough so that people will have no choice but to use the coin once in a while. Then at least my a collector’s shiny coin will have some aesthetic advantage over some dollar coins. Where have you gone Sacagewa and Susan B. Anthony?
- Insurance companies. And their agents. And their lawyers. And secretaries. And stockholders. Screw you all.
- Anti-global warming fanatics. I really don’t think a reasonable person can lay high gas prices, casualties in Iran, steroids in baseball and the Lakers’ collapse all at Al Gore’s feet. But I’ll be damned if I don’t get at least one email a week blaming almost anything you can think of on Al Gore and his cause. We all know that global warming IS the cause of all these things, right? That’s the irony. It is delicious.
- Aging. Sometimes its hard for me to remember it beats the heck out of the alternative. But it still sucks.
- My dead grass and bloomless crepe myrtles. Especially bad considering the neighbors yard–dq’d from being yard of the month for winning too many times.
- Choosing poorly which lane is going fastest.
- LSU fans. Not because they are supposed to be obnoxious. Because they have good teams. What stroke of luck allowed them to be born in a state that decided only one college needed to play good football back in 1897. Sorry Tulane. Same goes for Tennessee, and Arkansas. And Nebraska. And Ohio State for Pete’s sake. Ya’ll all piss me off.
- Runners. Admit it….what really turns you on is showing up the rest of us. Come on Adam, admit it.
- Bad attitudes. Piss. Me. Off.