Quote of the Day: “All generalizations are false, including this one.” –Mark Twain
TB’s been using the philosobaen tag since the blog started, and lately its occurred to me the credo of philosobaenism ought to be recorded. I imagine this will be a work in progress, but here’s what I’ve got so far. Feel free to add your own personal tenets below. Some aspects of PB’ism are original and some are not, and some are forgotten or at least stuck in the subconscious for the time being. But they are all life truths, certainties. Except for when they are wrong. Apply liberally but cautiously, as you see fit.
- Sometimes you gotta laugh to keep from cryin.
- Tan fat beats white fat.
- Getting older sucks but it beats the heck out of the alternative.
- You can’t pigeonhole me.
- Don’t patronize me.
- It only takes one.
- Things emphatically do NOT always work out the way they are supposed to.
- Eat whatever the hell you want to and don’t criticize anybody else for what they choose to eat.
- 9 times out of 10, 2 lanes beats 4 lanes.
- If it outrages you, question the source. If you read it on the web, check it on Snopes. If you hear it second hand, take it with a grain of salt. Above all, figure out what questions need to be answered before you join a mob.
- Ain’t no good gonna come out of a married person being out drinkin without their spouse more than every once in awhile.
- I wanna hold on to my own damn money. And I’m just as stingy about it being taken away by corporate America multinationals as I am government.
- Most folks are doin the best they can. (This one I have trouble remembering sometimes, but it is the truth.)
- You need to know how to throw a knuckleball in case the wind’s blowin out.
- Daylight drinkin is classier then nighttime drinkin.
- The best relationships short of marriage follow the three week rule, and by no means are they mathematically capable of lasting more than six weeks (at a time.)
- If you wanna stay friends with some people you gotta overlook their faults, forgive ’em when they need it, and keep your damn mouth shut about their business, especially if you’re the type that needs a friend who will do the same for you.
- Mississippi State and Ole Miss are scared to play USM in football and its embarrassing. All those reasons not to play are just excuses.
- If work was supposed to be fun they’d have called it “fun” instead of “work.”
- Very few people who ain’t born to it will ever be admitted to the country club. But most everyone thinks they have a chance.
- If you ask, I’ll tell you what I think. Sure, I’d be better off to hold my cards a little closer to the vest, but it just ain’t my style.
- When the rules don’t make sense, but there’s no jail time for violations, break ’em.
- Ain’t nothin gay about poetry, red wine, or convertibles.
- Some things ought to piss you off. Dependin on what it was, at some point you need to get over it.
- If you’re in a conversation with someone who ain’t your asshole runnin buddy and they say something that’s damn dubious you have to make the call in a hurry rather to reply or whether to stare blankly in return. It’s almost always best to bs.