Quote of the Day “I been in the right place, but it must have been the wrong time; I’d have said the right thing, but I must have used the wrong line.” –Dr. John
As promised, here’s TB’s companion list to “The Right Place at the Right Time Club”
9. Excellent MSU Bulldog kicker Artie Cosby, to win, or lose the Egg Bowl, Jackson, Mississippi, 1983 (link)
8. Glacier National Park, circa 2030, sans glaciers.
7. John McCain in 2000.
6. Isabelle Adjani–a hot French actress who was ready to break out in the USA back in 1987. She was cast as the female lead opposite superstars Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman. In Ishtar (blank stare).
5. Ray Perkins–got his dream job at his alma mater, the University of Alabama in 1983. It was after Bear Bryant’s retirement and before his death. I can imagine Bear’s advice to Perkins after his hiring. “Ray, this job is a piece of cake. The fans are gonna love you. But you gotta be your own man. The first thing you ought to do is tear down that stupid tower I used to stand on at practice.”
4. Prince’s publicist, during the unpronounceable name years.
3. Brian Bosworth, linebacker. One night back in 1987, Bosworth got himself properly positioned to tackle Bo Jackson on Monday Night Football. It didn’t work out too well (link) and the Boz shortly thereafter quit being a hack football player and became a hack actor.
2. Some old dude standing next to TB at the Rainbow Casino several years ago. Perennial craps loser, TB, took his turn with the dice, betting 5 dollar chips. Old crusty dude next to me is using black $100 chips and some color TB is not used to, nor the Rainbow I suspect. TB shot for 35 minutes, hitting at least a dozen points. Old dude bet the don’t pass. The whole time. Continually increasing his stake. (Stone guffawed and piroutted at the other end of the table the whole time.)
1. Pete Best, drummer.