Quote of the Day “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.” Rick, to Louis at the close of Casablanca
Reminiscing about the life and career of Paul Newman and reading the comments to the “End of Cool” post got me thinking about the great asshole runnin buddy movies. I’m not sure how to define what makes a great ARB movie, but I know one when I see it. Here’s my list:
- Wedding Crashers–This movie may not be considered classic enough for some since its pretty new. But Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson perfectly capture the essence of the term in their portrayal of the title characters.
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid–Heresy (you may say) that, especially this week, I put Newman and Redford second, but I call ’em like I see ’em. It had a long reign as number one.
- Smoky and the Bandit–Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed, the other classic duo that was recently halved. How about a Burt-Redford old guy movie for old times’ sake?
- The Big Lebowski–This gets better and better every time I see it. Jeff Bridges and John Goodman are deadpan hilarious. Bonus for Sam Elliot’s small but critical role. The Dude is perhaps the best movie character of the last twenty years, and one of the best ever.
- Clerks–I could listen to Randal and Dante talk for hours. They should release sequels every year, but with less plot, more talk.
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off–Only a true ARB, even a wimp like Cameron, would give in and let you take Dad’s hot rod into Chicago for a day of school skipping frivolity.
- The Blues Brothers–Two dudes drive around the midwest finding their old ARB’s and convincing each of them in an average of 3.6 seconds apiece to leave their jobs, girlfriends and wives in the name of “getting the band back together.” Nice.
- The Sting–One of TB’s top movies of all time regardless of category. It’s only this low on this list because its borderline ensemble which is not exactly what I was going for. But I bumped Newman and Redford to second place, so I need to give them the only multiple appearance on this list. As movie ARB’s go, they are still the overall champs.